Conversations are a way for us to communicate the stories of our lives, and express our emotions of how we truly feel about each situation. As part of the Homeschool Review Crew, my family was able to review Color My Conversation by Northern Speech Services. This is an amazing social skills resource our family encountered, which teaches the skills of face-to-face conversations. I am certainly pleased with the positive impact this product has had on my children!
~Color My Conversation is a multi-sensory teaching approach to facilitate conversations between children, encourage children to engage in conversations with others, and to help foster the active conversation in progress. With the social awareness, self-regulation, executive function, meta-cognitive and meta-linguistic skills one will find this approach simplistic in form and easily grasped by the child.
~This program was developed by a speech-language pathologist and used with different types of children.
- High-Functioning Autism
- Asperger Syndrome
- Language Delayed
- Children with Mild Intellectual Disabilities
- Children within the General Population
~This program worked well for our family, at 30 minutes, twice a week for a total of six weeks. My 5 year-old was struggling with articulating her phonogram sounds and clearly pronunciating her words so people out in the community could understand her. CMC helped her to slow down when she was conversing, so her and I could work on a certain word or sound while still having our conversation. She also enjoyed having direct questions asked, and with being only allowed to speak when holding the conversation ball she could express her answers clearly without being rushed by siblings. One of the highlights of this program was the ‘Songs’ she learned from each lesson, and over the course of the week she could be heard singing them. She was also extremely eager to participate in the lessons and would ask each day when the next time of CMC was. There was no struggle in motivating my 5 year-old to work with the CMC program.
There are four levels in the program
- Beginner Level– (Ages 5-12) students learn the ‘Conversation Path,’ which includes: greeting, conversation starter, topic, conversation stopper, good-bye. A conversation ball will be tossed back & forth between speakers. This level takes about 5 weeks to complete with each lesson being 30-45 minutes in length, but can be adapted to the student.
- Intermediate Level– (Ages 8-12) students learn the ‘Take It To The Table’ approach. The ‘WH’ questions are introduced along with the ‘yes/no/maybe’ questions, learning to make comments, how to change the topic, and speaking so others can hear and understand the speaker. This level takes about 6-8 weeks to complete.
- Advanced Level– (Ages 8-12) students learn the ‘Color My Conversation Game.’ With this level students either actively play or observe others who are playing with comments added. This is where the role of primary listener or primary speaker is learned. This level takes about 3-5 weeks to complete.
- Expert Level– (Various Ages) students will learn how to implement their conversation skills and apply them in a natural setting.
*Each level can easily be modified to fit the needs of any child*
Teaching Method Include:
- Color coding
- Sign Language
- Gestural Communication
- Meaningful Eye Contact
- Role Play
- Audio Recording
- Video Recording
~Each lesson has online support videos available, at home parent letters, lesson overview, lesson format, lesson setting, data recording and assessment forms provided. Most lessons will average 30-45 minutes depending on if the ‘Conversation Coach’ works with the child once or twice a week, over the 14-16 week period of time it takes to complete the entire program.
~Introductory training videos are to be utilized before the program starts, and training videos for each lesson are also available online.
Color My Conversation was such a delight to use, extremely easy to implement into our homeschool routine and we will continue to use this program for years to come. Being an effective communicator is a powerful tool that every child needs to learn!
Thanks For Reading!
Connect with NSS
Connect with CMC